Oct 26, 2011

How to go sorta private on blogspot

Privacy is a concern for many families who blog or post about their personal lives on public forums. You've probably wondered about sharing too much. On blogspot, in order to take your blog private or password protected, you take the whole thing private. Wordpress, on the other hand, allows you to choose which posts you want to password protect while the rest of the blog remains open, which is really nice if you want to just share pics with a few close friends and family, but not the whole wide webbed world. There's pros and cons to each blog host (not to mention the other blog hosters like tumbler, typepad, etc.)

I'm still committed to blogspot/blogger especially since it's hard to not stay with the whole host of google products (Gmail, Reader, Picasa, Documents, etc) AND I have a gazillion blogs on 2 different accounts.  I'm hoping that blogger will eventually listen to the whole gaggle of bloggers who have jumped ship simply due to this single blog post protected/password/private feature.  But until they do....

... I'm going to try something ...GO PSEUDO-PRIVATE, which is what Blogger FAQ/HELP people suggest: Create another new blog.

I'm going to keep our family blog public and create a new blog that is invite only.  My private blog will be for close friends and family.  I've started it as a photo journal of our journey to EJ (backdating a few entries to catch up).  I can quickly post pictures from my iphone (easily, daily and frequently) through Bloggers email to blog feature or through the blogpress app.  And I can import a few of the important "journey" blog posts from our family blog to the private blog easily since it's all with blogger.  Eventually, I can turn the private blog into a book for EJ as it will record even the piddliest moments of her adoption journey.

Well, I'm going to try it.  And if you see me jump ship, then you'll know that my experiment didn't work and then I'll declare Wordpress to be THE ultimate bloghost.


1 comment:

  1. girl, you are BUSY! ;) i can barely keep track of my one blog!

    ReplyDelete